Diversity and colonization of permanent and semi-permanent breeding habitats by Anopheles mosquitoes in a semi-arid ecosystem of Baringo district in Kenya

Abstract: 
Diversity, occurrence and utilization of mosquito breeding habitats is an essential component of vector ecology and important in designing and implementation of vector management programs. A one year larval survey was conducted to determine utilization of different habitats for mosquito. Larval sampling was conducted weekly. The habitats were classified as permanent or semi permanent and their characteristics documented. Availability of habitats in this semi-arid ecosystem was directly correlated with the seasons. Five mosquito breeding habitats in the area comprised ditch, marsh, canals, culverts and pan dams (pools). Of these breeding habitats 60% were man made while natural habitats accounted for the remaining 40%. Except for canals, other habitats were colonized by Anopheles gambiae, pharoensis and funestus. Both natural and artificial breeding habitats were productive for Anopheles, however, the abundance of larvae collected from the habitats was determined by season. Permanence of the habitat had a significant influence on larval productivity and composition of species. There was broad distribution of A. gambiae and A. pharoensis in all the breeding habitats while An. funestus was restricted to permanent breeding habitat-Marsh and dry season. Of the aquatic habitats 80% were potential breeding sites. Permanent and semi-permanent habitats should be equally targeted to control larval stages of mosquitoes in semi-arid areas.
La diversité, la présence et l’utilisation des habitats de reproduction des moustiques sont une composante essentielle de l’écologie des vecteurs et important dans la conception et la mise en oeuvre des programmes de lutte anti vectorielle. Une enquête d’une année sur les larves a été réalisée afin de déterminer l’utilisation des différents habitats pour les moustiques. L’échantillonnage des larves a été réalisé par semaine. Les moustiques ont été classés comme permanents ou semi permanents et leurs caractéristiques documentées. La disponibilité des habitats dans cet écosystème semi-arides a été directement corrélée avec les saisons. Cinq habitats de reproduction des moustiques dans la zone comprenant un fossé, un marais, des canaux, des ponceaux et barrages d’irrigation, (piscines). Parmi ces habitats de reproduction, 60% ont été créés par l’homme tandis que les habitats naturels représentaient les 40% restants. Sauf pour les canaux, d’autres habitats ont été colonisés par Anopheles gambiae, Anopheles funestus et pharoensis. Les habitats de reproduction naturelle et artificielle ont été productifs pour l’anophèle, toutefois, l’abondance des larves recueillies à partir des habitats a été déterminée selon la saison. La permanence de l’habitat a eu une influence significative sur la productivité des larves et la composition des espèces. Il y avait une large diffusion de A. gambiae et A. pharoensis dans tous les habitats de reproduction tandis que An.funestus a été limité à l’habitat de reproduction permanenteen mars et pendant la saison seche. Parmi les habitats aquatiques, 80% étaient des sites de reproduction potentiels. Les habitats permanents et semi-permanents devraient être également utilisés pour contrôler les stades larvaires de moustiques dans les zones semi-arides.
Language: 
Date of publication: 
2010
Country: 
Region Focus: 
East Africa
University/affiliation: 
Collection: 
RUFORUM Conferences and Workshops
Licence conditions: 
Open Access
Access restriction: 
Form: 
Printed resource
Publisher: 
ISSN: 
E_ISSN: 
Edition: 
Extent: 
349-354
Notes: 

"The 2010 RUFORUM Biennial Conference was the second in the series. The main objective of the Biennial conferences is to provide a platform for agricultural research for development stakeholders in Africa and beyond to actively exchange findings and experiences, while at the same time learning lessons towards improving performance of the agricultural sector and ultimately people’s livelihoods. The biennial conference is RUFORUM’s most comprehensive meeting for the diversity of stakeholders in agriculture. It is especially dedicated to graduate students and their supervisors, grantees in RUFORUM member universities and alumni. It is a platform for peer review, quality control, mentorship, networking and shared learning. This record contains an extended abstract accepted under the theme of Pests"